Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Oily skin ?

In my previous post, i spoke about the various body types in Ayurveda which also determine the nature of your skin . I am a pitta body type so that usually means my skin is oily and sensitive ( YES! this skin type is the most acne prone ) . According to Ayurveda , pitta skin is a combination of fire and water elements ( vata is composed of air and space , and kapha of earth and water ) .
                                                   


About pitta skin , it's fair , soft , warm and during good days , it has a nice golden glow but during bad skin days , it tends to develop rashes and acne and pigmentation disorders . Because of the fire element in the skin,most pitta skin types are photosensitive (I am too! ) . I have always disliked the sun and used to avoid going out cos it usually ended up with me all tired and swearing at the sun and acting cranky . I noticed that nobody else had such  issues and wondered why it had to just be me !! After some research , i found out that pitta body types can't STAND the sun !! AHA ! I found my answer finally :p And it couldn't be more true!! I  have always been partial to the rains and cloudy weather and now i know why ! The 'fire' element in pitta is doused by cool weather (yeah, it sounds weird but it's true !! ) .

Okay, now coming to pitta skin care ,i dont religiously follow all the guidelines in Ayurveda but I mix and match a few things and follow what works for me..
So,the first rule is to drink loooooots of water!! ( Fresh fruit juices wouldn't hurt either ) . This is true for any skin type but it's more so for pitta skin..
Because my skin  is sensitive , i try to avoid products that come loaded with harsh chemicals as much as possible ( sometimes can't resist it though , they just look so good in advertisements ! ). Oh, by the way , try not to use LAKME products , they don't work for sensitive skin . And their shampoos sucked too !!

when it comes to face washes and scrubs , i have tried purely herbal ones like besan, rava , oats blah blah and while they work if you just sit at home or go grocery shopping in the neighborhood , they don't work if you have to travel for long in the city ( don't get me started about the dust and pollution in Bangalore , its just horrible! ) . i'd suggest a mild face wash............a foaming face wash would work even better .
If  you have oily skin , DO NOT use a creamy face wash .This will just worsen your skin and make it extremely shiny in all the wrong places so you look like you've just rolled in oil . Also , use a water based moisturizer which won't clog your pores and result in additional  breakouts . And even when it comes to make up , use something very light that is mineral based and NOT oil based  .......  that would just create extra havoc on your skin !!

                                                                                   
I'll be doing a review of some products in my next post .. that's it for now! Tata..

No comments:

Post a Comment